1 YEAR FIXED TERM APPOINTMENT
CLOSING DATE – 23rd APRIL 2021
Are you passionate about African Film? Do you want to play a key role in taking our stories to global screens? Are you committed to excellence in the content business? Are you comfortable engaging at the highest levels of professional industry? Do you respond well to a dynamic environment that occupies the friction zone between art and business?
If so, this may be the perfect position for you!
The Durban FilmMart Institute is a non-profit company that facilitates local and international trade and investment in African film content; and generates market access for African film industry professionals and content to international markets.
The vision of the Durban FilmMart Institute is to be the premier business hub of the African film industries in a world where African film industry professionals and products are globally competitive and celebrated.
Annual Flagship Event – Durban FilmMart (DFM)
The flagship event of the Durban FilmMart Institute is the annual Durban FilmMart, Africa’s premier finance and co-production market, now currently in its 12th year.
Objectives of the DFM
- Raise the visibility of film projects from the African Continent and create networking opportunities with potential co-producers and other industry partners.
- Enable funding for promising projects and accelerate the financing of the participating projects through transnational cooperation.
- Stimulate production of African content and promote international coproduction opportunities.
- Encourage project collaboration between African Filmmakers from different African Countries.
The Durban FilmMart Institute is looking for a self-motivated and results-driven General Manager to direct and manage our organisation’s business activities and to develop and implement effective business strategies and programmes. The applicant must have a deep knowledge and understanding of both the film sector and event management. The successful applicant must have strong leadership qualities, excellent communication skills, strong work ethic, and the ability to meet pressured deadlines.
Key Responsibilities of the General Manager:
- Overseeing the Artistic and Strategic Vision of the DFMI
- Lead the overall planning, production, and coordination for the annual DFM
- Overseeing the planning and implementation of the DFM year-round programmes
- Managing strategic relationships with DFMI’s local and international stakeholders and funders • Managing the DFMI finances which includes budgeting, reporting and annual audit • Raise funds to implement the organisation’s programmes in partnership with the Board of Directors.
- Manage and Implement the approved Business Plan
- Representing the organisation externally, including through public talks, as needed • Overseeing marketing initiatives and implementing business practices
- Continuously pursue opportunities globally for the advancement of the African film industry
- Tertiary qualification in Business Administration, Arts or Film
- Five year experience in senior management
- Five year experience in fundraising
- Five year experience in the film industry
- Experience in producing festivals and film markets
- Participation in international film festivals and markets
The successful applicant must be available to travel locally and internationally in order to represent the organisation. Please note that the position is based in Durban.
Applicants are required to submit a letter of motivation, certified copy of highest degree, copy of ID, and a detailed CV including the names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of three referees, to the DFMI Board, E-mail [email protected]