Durban FilmMart Institute in partnership with DW Akademie, supported by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Developments, the Durban FilmMart Institute presents a 12-week business skills development programme aimed at nurturing and empowering producers with the necessary skills to effectively engage in a global market.
The programme will include online sessions and mentoring on business and financial management, understanding legal framework and distribution strategies. Each session will be 90 minutes long. The sessions will take place twice a week over a 12-week period commencing in December 2021.
The programme will be in English, with simultaneous translation in French and Portuguese
The programme is open to DFM Alumni, including filmmakers who have presented or pitched a project at DFM through our partners Talents Durban, JUMPSTART, CINEFAM, REALNESS and HotDocs Fellows. Programme is also open to DFM ACCESS 2021 Alumni.
The programme is targeting producers with African passports who have produced films and have less than 5 years’ experience in the industry.
Directors and scriptwriters who also have 5 years’ experience in the industry and are interested in the programme will need to provide a 1-page letter of motivation for consideration to participate.
If you are an African film industry professional based outside of Africa, you will have to advise what percentage of your work is based in the continent.
Kindly note that acceptance into the programme will not be based on a specific film project. (You will not need an active film project to participate in the programme).
Submission Criteria – What must I submit with my application?
This will appear on the form
- Contact Details*
- Bio (limit 150 words) *
- CV – include names of film produced (attachment, pdf) *
- Company Name
- Company profile
- Number of years active in the industry*
- Year participated at DFM*
- Name of project participated at DFM*
- Which DFMI programme did you participate in? *
- DFM Pitch & Finance Forum
- DFM Access
- Talents Durban
- Realness Residency at DFM
- CineFAM Co-Production Accelerator at DFM
- HotDocs Fellows at DFM
- IEFTA/ PALOP Lusophone Spotlight at DFM
- Country of origin*
- Country of Residence*
- Language proficiency* (options – English, French, Portuguese, other)
- African Passport* (attachment)
- High resolution headshot for PR purposes*
- Social media handles
- Commitment to attend all 12 sessions from December to March*
Phase 1: Technical Evaluation Stage
- The initial evaluation stage will evaluate whether your submission fulfils all the eligibility criteria
- The Durban FilmMart Institute will contact you to request any documentation not submitted and you will have 2 working days to submit these documents.
- If you are unable to complete the application submission within 2 working days from the date of first contact, your submission will be removed from the submissions
Phase 2: Evaluation
- A panel of industry professionals will evaluate your submission form, CV and bio
Phase 3: Confirming shortlisted projects
- All successful applicants will be contacted in November 2021
- The programme can accommodate up to 30 participants from across Africa
Phase 4: Announcement of official selection
- Public announcement of participants will be made in December 2021
Terms & Conditions / Obligation of participants
- Applicants are not permitted to direct any questions or comments to evaluation panel members in advance of deadlines or following decisions. All enquiries pertaining to the programme must be directed to DFMI via i[email protected]
- The Durban FilmMart Institute reserves the right to alter programme guidelines with a general email notification to all potential applicants
- Time commitment, participants will need to avail themselves twice a week (90-minutes a session) from December 2021 – March 2022. Specific dates will be communicated to selected participants upon confirmation of selection
Click here for make a submission: https://forms.gle/NsG3QYKoKBsD68Wu8
Deadline for submissions: Sunday, 7 November 2021 @ 23:59 (CAT)